We value our Members who choose MAX for their homeowners and farmowners insurance and offer the following actions to protect you and your family, as well as minimize any property damage that might occur from a winter storm:
- Follow directions from local officials.
- Build a basic emergency supplies kit with nonperishable food, water and first aid supplies.
- Charge cell phones, find flashlights, and check batteries. Do not use candles for emergency lighting.
- If you have plumbing on outside walls, open your cabinet doors or insulate your pipes to prevent freezing.
- If pipes do burst due to freezing, turn the water off. Now is a good time to locate your main water valve shut-off.
- If the power goes out:
- Turn off and unplug appliances and electronics to avoid damage from a power surge when it comes back on.
- Do not use a generator unless it has been properly installed and ventilated to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Learn more about when you can save or throw out food due to power outages by clicking here.
- If you are using a wood stove, fireplace or space heater, make sure you monitor it and keep all flammable materials away.
- Do not climb on roofs to remove snow but use a quality snow removal tool instead.
- When clearing sidewalks, do not overload the shovel and take breaks to prevent injuries.
Above all, we at MAX want you and your family to remain safe through any weather event. Our Claims Department is standing by at 877-971-6300 dial 5, and is prepared to help and assist with any type of loss coming from a winter storm. Be safe.
Photo by Gattou – Lucie Provencher