Although it may not always feel like spring lately, it is sure to come any day now. We would like to take a moment to share some spring maintenance tips for your home:
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts to make sure they are not filled with leaves and debris.
- Ensure that water drainage is moving away from your home when it comes out of the gutter. You can add an extension to the gutter to make sure the water drains away from your home.
- Purchase a battery backup for your sump pump. Springtime is also storm season and power outages can happen this time of year. If your sump pump fails, water can collect in your basement.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
It’s not always easy to remember when we should do home maintenance. If you prefer an automated home maintenance schedule, check out HomeZada.com where you can sign up for email reminders and online alerts. Have a wonderful spring!
Spring is here and with it comes storm season. What does that mean for MAX members? Storms can bring large amounts of water near your home in short periods of time. In addition, strong winds can cause damage to your property. Here are some helpful tips on items to check around your house during storm season:
- Ensure water drainage is moving away from your home. The ground should be sloping downward, away from your foundation and basement.
- Check your gutters. Make sure they are not clogged with leaves. In addition, ensure that water is directed away from your home when it comes out of the gutter. Add an extension at the bottom of your gutter if need-be.
- Have a battery back-up for your sump pump. Power outages can come with spring storms. If your sump pump isn’t turned on due to a power outage and you do not have a battery back-up, water can collect in your basement.
- Install surge protectors on your electronics. Lightning and power surges can also happen during storms. Why not protect your expensive electronics with a surge protector?
Do you have questions about protecting your home during spring storm season? Has it been a while (over a year) since you updated your home insurance policy? Contact your MAX Agent today and he/she would be happy to assist you with your policy.